Saturday, February 19, 2005

Family hike

"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air…" - R.W. Emerson

This morning I took Emerson, my husky dog, to the vet for his annual physical and immunizations. He is always very curious and fascinated by this field trip--all the smells of dogs and cats in the air, the treats, the attention he gets from strangers who all know his name and greet him. He's friendly to all. He weighs 62.4 lbs today, a healthy weight the vet said, though I know it's over the AKC standard for male Siberian huskies. But his father was a big white husky himself. Emerson has a little winter weight, I think, and he still has to go through his semi-annual big shedding event.

My Emerson lives up to his namesake well...he loves nature, is inquisitive, friendly to all and tolerant, seems meditative and comtemplative, independent, faithful.

And now we're going out together to enjoy the beautiful weather. Judd, Emerson, and I are going for a hike in Riverside State Park. We will drink some wild air, eat sandwiches and apples in the forest, and enjoy being a family.

No comments: