Wednesday, April 06, 2005

poetry and religion

I've been thinking about the poet Julia Kasdorf, how she's become a voice for the Mennonite community. And I've been thinking about the Pope's death--in an abstract way, as a former Catholic kid who grew up hearing about what Pope John Paul said or did, and how that related to our "faith" and the "Church" and what we were supposed to believe. And I met a guy once who's name was Jon (short for Jonathan) Paul...and I joked that he was named after the Pope...then I found out his dad was really devoutly Catholic, and that yes, indeed he was sort of named after the Pope.

And I came across this interesting article, "Putting Pop Culture Behind the Pulpit."

So I then googled "Poetry and Religion" and found some interesting links to explore...a blog with a poetry book anthology recommendation, some Mars Hill audio sermons, a lit mag website--"Pleiades: A Journal of New Writing" that includes "Christianity and Poetry:A Symposium"...and that was about it for the most interesting stuff.

The back issues of Pleiades sound fascinating...I want to find them and read them. I'll have to see if the Willow Springs reading room has any copies.

No comments: