Wednesday, December 14, 2005

The Bark

A great article, if you run with a dog...or just like running or dogs...from The Bark.

An excerpt...
"I’m not a religious person, but trail running with my dogs has helped make me a spiritual one, developing in me a deep, sustaining connection to them and to nature in all her abundant wonder. My senses have become more acute. I’m more aware—of the dogs, the trails, the mountains, the smells, the rhythms of life and the seasons. Running trails brings me a sense of calmness and peace. There’s awe of the natural beauty and the ease with which my dogs and I glide through it, spiced with a keen awareness that something could instantly go wrong and so nothing should be wasted or taken for granted. A metaphor for life. I recently read that some scientists theorize that humans are “hardwired” to accept, and need, God and religion. I suspect my own hardwiring requires that I worship at the church of nature and dogs, where services occur while running with them on wooded trails. "