Wednesday, March 21, 2007

earth baby

Ralph Waldo Emerson said, "Spring still makes spring in the mind,
When sixty years are told;
Love wakes anew this throbbing heart,
And we are never old." - from today's The Writer's Almanac, by Garrison Keillor


my poetic attempt (in 10 minutes or less)...

First Day of Spring, 2007

It's a wild March morning in Spokane, the wind
snags my hair and catches it
in my lips and jagged corners
of my sunglasses. My contact lenses
itch my retinas like cayenne pepper bagels,
cat hair covered eyelids,
chlorine pool water, dandelion weeds.
Later, I will take my eight-year-old dog
for a walk through the neighborhood,
along the soccer park fence that borders the cow pasture.

Emerson will drag his nose along the grass,
following urine tracks
and small shit piles. He'll add his own
thin drizzle and scratch the ground
with his back paws,
kicking up mud and grass.
I'll urge him on with my voice, then a strong tug
of the leash. He’s stubborn.
And after a twenty-second tug-of-war, we'll move on
to the next lonely tree.

* * *

“The planet has a fever. If your baby has a fever, you go to the doctor. If the doctor says you need to intervene here, you don’t say ‘I read a science fiction novel that says it’s not a problem.’ You take action.” - Al Gore, from NYT - Gore Warns Congress of ‘Planetary Emergency’

totally Texas: Representative Ralph Hall, Republican of Texas, said that calls for cuts in emissions of greenhouse gases amounted to an “all-out assault on all forms of fossil fuels” that could eliminate jobs and hurt the economy.

huskypoet says: Well, if there is no healthy future, who freakin' cares about jobs or the economy? And what about the jobs and economic boost that occurs because of research and production of alternative fuel sources? Corporate-puppet politicians, get real.