Tuesday, June 28, 2005

lillian hellman and body odors

I'm not sure about this previous statement, but that is a phrase that someone put into google and then found my blog.

I did think of Lillian yesterday, because I ate a "Dash Ham Melt" sandwich--named after Lillian's longtime partner--at the Liberty Cafe next to Auntie's Bookstore. It was okay...ham was a little too salty.

At night before going to bed, I've been reading Safe in Heaven Dead, by Samuel Ligon and really like it...and not just because Sam is an EWU professor and the advisor for "Willow Springs"...or because I moved into his neighborhood. (Just a few nights ago, him and his two kids were coming down the sidewalk and we chatted for a few minutes.) The details about the union and political organization is a bit confusing at times, and I think I shouldn't read it so late at night...but the character development is compelling. And I enjoy the quick pace of the action.

I have two new poetry books I've been wanting to start reading--one is by Ruth Stone. I'm also set to begin Donald Hall and William Stafford's prose books on poetry. And there are some new poem drafts that need some attention again.

The post-MFA mission: how to figure out a schedule that allows for the creative process and production to occur, while maintaining a work and personal schedule that pays the bills and provides a meaningful, fulfilling life that imbeds purpose into my daily experiences.

Maybe I'm being too idealistic and asking too much. Maybe not.

Any suggestions from others who work at one job and then write at home in the evenings/mornings/weekends?

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Wow. I'm totally open to tips for that one too. I'm thinking of a)growing a third eye so I can read surreptitiously while working, b)neglecting friends and family until they leave me huddled up in my pathetic loneliness, or c)spending less time reading blogs. At least the first two ideas are practical.
(Cool blog! I'll be back!)