Tuesday, February 07, 2006

for writers

I get emails from the Seattle P-I whenever there's a book-related article. Today's was about Po Bronson and his new non-fiction/documentary-type book about families. Apparently, Bronson was once voted People magazine's "sexiest author alive". I didn't know they did that. I would vote Leif Enger for that title, though he's also this NPR-spiritual-husband/father/family-man, so I feel like I would only have the guts to name him "cutest author alive."

Anyway, Bronson's website included a really interesting section - Advice to Writers. Here's an excerpt:

The writing life is lonely. Taking some of that loneliness out of it helps you to hang in there. Create a supportive environment that allows you to give it the kind of time it takes. Book clubs, workshops through bookstores, extended ed classes, graduate writing programs – they may not teach you to write, but they can support you and give you time.

How I'm currently achieving the existence of a "supportive environment": Tonight I'm meeting with three MFA alumni for our own "poetry workshop". The plan is that we'll meet together the first Tuesday of the month, emailing each other 1 poem ahead of time. Blogging helps, attending readings at local bookstores, being a member of Seattle Writergrrls (through their online listserve), keeping in touch with Wide-Eyed Poet in Colorado, and other small means of fostering a supportive environment.

More Bronson advice...
Allow for many paths to your goal. Do not fixate on one path, because then you are likely to give up when that path is blocked.

I think I've been learning this part well since graduating from grad school. Diversifying my writing processes, genres, forms, and all that. It's not poetry, but it's published, and it was interesting to research and write...and I get paid a little bit for it.

No comments: