Tuesday, February 28, 2006

of course

"In a complex text, organization may be elaborate, messages may be implicit, interactions among ideas or characters may be subtle, and the vocabulary is demanding and intricate."
- from "Study: Reading Key to College Success"

I think this absolutely characterizes excellent literature from the mediocre. Whether it's a poem, short story, non-fiction essay, or novel, the more students practice reading and understanding the text--the organization of action and character development, motivation of the characters, intent of the author, the thematic messages and issues, all of the elements that work together to form an engaging and insightful work of literature...crafted in language that is precise and intelligent, without cliches and simplistic descriptions...this package is a complex text.

I have always loved to read. This kind of innate fascination and obsession with reading is probably the foundational common trait among all writers. It is also probably an inherent quality in every teacher and professor of English.

Unfortunately, the nature of teaching today's high school students is that many students do not have this same admiration and desire for the written word. Whether or not saturation with books and reading is essential in developing this trait, lest it be lost forever, I can't say. I do know from my studies in literacy and reading skills, the earlier children are introduced to the concepts of reading, the structure of books and literary forms, and surrounded by healthy, positive language, the more likely a child is to be an excellent reader--not only in skill, but also in his/her motivation to read. Choosing a book over a movie, for example. Actually reading the assigned homework chapters for English class. Actually reading a book!

I'm also understanding of the reality that certain speech impairments and developmental issues can delay a child's reading readiness and ultimately impact his/her literary. Depending on what kind of parental support and intervention takes place, and how early, this usually doesn't impact a child through adulthood. In fact, the most motivated and dedicated students are the ones who overcame a speech impediment, dyslexia, or other difficulty in regards to their ability to read and comprehend.

When I was teaching full-time, I required my students to complete an Outside Reading requirement worth 10% of their final grade. For regular level students, this meant they had to read 300 pages (for total credit) of literature (fiction or non-fiction) each quarter. Honors students had to read 500 pages a quarter. The book could not be any from the course curriculum, or a book they read in previous years for English class. Movie books received 1/2 credit. (Which became increasingly difficult as more and more good novels have been adapted into screenplays and produced.) I first learned about this concept from Jane Schaffer when I attended my first workshop with her in the fall of 1997, my first year as a teacher.

My second year of teaching I broadened the scope to also include "Literary Experiences"--where students could attend a play or poetry/book reading and write a short review about the experience. It wasn't as time consuming as reading, but not very many chose this route because they didn't want to pay to see a performance or simply weren't interested. Most did the reading, and after missing it for a quarter quickly realized what a difference it made to their grade. I evaluated students' credit based on "Oral Book Reports". Without fail, I could tell if a student had actually read the book or not. Open it up to a random page, read and passage, then ask the student, "Tell me what's going on." If students haven't read the book, or haven't read to that passage yet and were trying to test on the whole book, it becomes very apparent--they stumble through an explanation, are vague, etc. If that haven't read but had a friend fill them in enough or they somehow otherwise were slick enough to sound like they kind of read, I'll pick a few more passages to have them explain. Often I'll ask specific questions about the character development, theme, or action--usually when I've also read the book. And since I've read many, many books, the students knew they couldn't fool me easily.

My favorite times were when I caught students trying to fib their way through an Oral Book Report. I'd usually make up an event or a character and ask a question about it. Because the student hadn't read the book, he/she would try to create a fabricated answer for my fabricated question. I remember once asking a student who claimed to have read a science-fiction book.

After a few stumbling responses, I asked, "So tell me about the character Vader." The student: "Oh, he's the guy who...." Uh, no. Vader is in Star Wars.

Overall, the most rewarding part of requring Outside Reading was that I was had 5 minute book discussion with each student at least once a quarter. Some students read piles of books, over a thousand pages for the school year. I remember one 11th grade boy who claimed to have never read a book. I told him to go get Harry Potter from the school library, and I bet he would love it. This was back in 1999 when Potter was still really, really the IN thing. He had to be on the waiting list for awhile, and I knew the other student who had the book checked out. So I told her, "Hey, hurry up and finish that book, I know a kid who needs to read it!" It was like an after-school special movie, because that 17-year-old kid read Harry Potter and loved it. He came in so excited on a Monday, telling all about how he read it over the weekend and just couldn't put it down. How we wanted to get the next book right away and start reading again. And the awesome thing for him was that because HP books are so thick, he got most of his pages read for the semester!

I believe the Outside Reading requirement gave students the opportunity to read. When it's not cool and they are so busy with sports, activities, jobs, and friends, this gave them the excuse to kick back and read. Isn't that why some adults go on vacation now? Just to lounge by a pool and read? Read in the airport, on the plane, laying at the beach. Read in the hammock, on the couch, in the park, in a coffee shop.

And by giving them the opportunity to read, they practiced their reading skills. They improved their literacy. They engaged in reading complex texts. Sustained commitment to a work of art. God knows this can't hurt 'em. And 10 minutes each class day of SSR (sustained silent reading) was also helpful. Man, I miss that part of teaching.

* * *
Here's one teacher's webpage for outside reading that includes a book list. neat.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Great thoughts here! I am currently exploring the same ideas with my class. I'm requiring 1 hour of reading a day. Students are to read independently, read out loud to someone, and listen to a parent read to them. It's been such an experience, both exciting and painful. I think I'll share a blog myself on the topic soon.

Your post reminds me what a good teacher we lost from public education.